I’ve answered the question of best resources before. You can read the full description about why I think certain resources are worthwhile/essential here and about my personal study plan:
But to summarize and price:
1. First Aid (FA) book- around $45 new online bookstores, can get for around $30 used (or if you ask people who have finished taking boards, they’ll probably give it to you for pennies on the dollar).
2. USMLEworld Qbank- ranges from $130 for 1 month to $400 for a year long. For my part, I think 90 days ($219) is plenty of time to go through all the questions, and over again several times depending on your goal.
2a. I also mention Kaplan qbank in my answer. I personally did not like it, but the costs are similar: $99 for 1 month or an option to extend until your test date for $199.
3. Goljan path audio lectures- these are available for free online or your classmates.
4. Supplemental books- vary in price, but I’ll list the ones I liked to give you an idea
-Board Review Series (BRS) physiology (~$30 or less if used)
-Microbiology made ridiculously simple ($25 or less if used)
-High Yield series (~$20 or less) for embryo, neuro, etc. I only used for neuro.
5. NBME practice tests- $50/piece, Uworld also has similar self-assessments for $35/each or cheaper if you add them onto your qbank subscription (my personal recommendation).
In total, you’re looking at around $300–400 for all the resources to do VERY well on the exam.
, M.D., UCSF